Have you tried Consent2Share?
More than 25,000 Patients in the i2b2 Database
Identifying potential research subjects is a key part to a successful research enterprise. In a few University of Florida clinical practices, patients are asked to participate in the Consent2Share patient recruitment program. New clinic sites for recruitment continue to be added to the program.
When patients agree to participate in the program, they are consenting to:
- A periodic review of their medical information to determine if they might qualify for a future research study. If they do, then,
- They agree to be contacted sometime in the future to be asked if they are interested in participating in a UF Health research study. However, when, at a future date, they are contacted, the patient can decide whether they wish to participate.
Consent2Share is a process by which patients can agree to be contacted by a researcher in the future, asking if they might be interested in participating in a research study.R. Peter Iafrate, ChairmanHealth Center IRB, University of Florida
How Can I Find Potential Participants for My Study?
Connect to the Integrated Data Repository and Register to use i2b2, the cohort discovery tool. Once you are a registered user, login to i2b2 and use i2b2 to query the UFHealth research datamart to determine how many patients may have specific health conditions relevant to your study.
For example, if you wish to recruit patients for a diabetes study, query the relevant diagnoses codes, demographic attributes and include a search criteria for whether the patient has consented to participate in the C2S program.
Consent2Share and the IRB
To access i2b2 and count the size of a potential cohort, you do not require IRB approval. Either include in your IRB protocol submission that you will use Cosent2Share as a recruitment tool, or submit the request as a revision to an already approved IRB protocol. Include the letter or language you will use to connect with the patient.
- In your IRB application report that you have used i2b2 to identify x number of patients who you would like to contact via the Consent2Share mechanism.
- You can reference the Consent2Share IRB201100349
- Provide a script that you will use to introduce the study as you approach potential patients.
More Information: email@example.com